If you still haven’t tried cannabis edibles, know that you’re missing out. Apart from smoking weed in a joint, bong, vape, or pipe, you can also consume it by eating edibles such as weed brownies, weed gummies, hard candy made with cannabis, chocolate with weed, and other sweet treats. These sugary delights can be bought from your local dispensary, but they can also be made at home by following our easy tutorial.
While you can make your weed brownies with cannabis butter, this article will focus on how you can make your cannabis brownies using homemade cannabis oil. You could also swap out the canna oil for cannabutter if you prefer adding that to your edibles.
If this is your first time making pot brownies and your own cannabis oil, worry not, as our simple tutorial will give you all the steps for making the best brownies that can top every brownie you buy from the dispensary. Now, let’s get started.
Before we get into the subject of making your own cannabis oil, we need to go over the types of weed oils you can make. The cannabis plant can be used to make three types of oils:
- THC oil, which has a high concentration of the cannabinoid THC and is used both recreationally and medicinally. It gives users psychoactive effects as well as euphoric or energizing feelings;
- CBD oil, which uses the cannabinoid CBD as its main compound which doesn’t give users psychoactive effects, but rather calms them down and relaxes them. It’s mostly used by medical marijuana patients;
- Hemp oil, which is made from the hemp plant and used in the food, clothing, and other industries. It has insignificant amounts of THC, therefore it doesn’t give users psychoactive feelings, but it has a good nutritional profile.
What to Do Before You Make Your Canna Oil?
Making your own cannabis oil is really easy, and only requires your favorite Indica or Sativa cannabis strain, some simple kitchen equipment, and a chunk of your time. Prior to making your cannabis oil, you first need to make your decarboxylated cannabis.
The decarboxylation process is a chemical reaction during which a carboxyl group is removed and carbon dioxide is released, meaning the tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) transforms into tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and the cannabidiolic acid (CBDA) transforms into cannabidiol (CBD).
To decarb your cannabis, you need to heat it at about 235 degrees Fahrenheit (120 degrees Celsius) for about an hour. After the decarbing process, you can start making your weed oil and ultimately your cannabis brownies.
Making Your Cannabis Oil
Before you start making your cannabis oil, you’ll need a few key ingredients and kitchen equipment. The first one will be your cooking oil, and you can choose from avocado, coconut, canola, olive oil, or another oil according to your preference, and the other will be your favorite Sativa, Indica, or hybrid cannabis strain.
The additional kitchen equipment you’ll need are the following:
- Cannabis grinder;
- Saucepan, slow cooker, or crockpot (depending on which method you choose to make your weed oil);
- Cheesecloth or mesh strainer;
- Storage container;
- Probe thermometer.
Recipe for Cannabis Oil
This recipe will involve decarbing weed using the stovetop method. For our recipe, we used an equal amount of cooking oil to cannabis flower ratio (1 cup of oil at room temperature and 1 cup of cannabis flower), though you can adjust the dose according to your preference.
- The first step for making your decarbed weed is grinding the raw flower with your favorite weed grinder.
- Next, you can start making your weed oil. You can use coconut oil for this recipe, so place 1 cup of said oil in a saucepan and add the ground up flower.
- Then, combine the oil and cannabis and let it infuse over low heat for up to an hour.
- To prevent burning, check the temperature of the oil with your thermometer and make sure that it’s about 235 degrees Fahrenheit (120 degrees Celsius), and stir occasionally.
- After the infusion, strain the oil through a cheesecloth or a mesh strainer to separate the plant material from the infused oil.
- You can discard the plant material or reuse it for other recipes.
- Allow the oil to cool down to room temperature and place it in a storage container or a mason jar.
- Store your weed oil in a cool, dark place, and use it up between 6 months and 1 year, which is the general shelf life of canna oil. After that period, THC degrades into the cannabinoid CBN.
The potency of your cannabis oil depends on the amount of cannabis you used while making the oil. It’s always best to adjust the dose according to your tolerance level and start with a lower dose. If you don’t get the desired effects from the first dose, you can increase it after an hour.
Using Your Weed Oil to Make Cannabis Brownies
You can definitely use a brownie mix to make your cannabis brownies, but making them from scratch can be even more satisfying once you try the finished product. To make your homemade weed brownies, you will only need a few ingredients and a chunk of your time.
Marijuana Brownies Ingredients
To make you cannabis brownies, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- ½ cup of canna oil (you can swap it with cannabutter if you prefer it);
- ¾ cup plain flour or all-purpose flour;
- ½ cup cocoa powder;
- ½ teaspoon sea salt;
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract;
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder;
- 1 cup white sugar or cannabis sugar;
- ¼ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar according to your preference;
- 2 large eggs;
- Cooking spray, butter, or oil, to grease the pan.
Toppings for your brownies can be any of the following:
- Nuts (pecans, peanuts, almonds);
- Brown sugar;
- Chocolate chips;
- Cocoa powder.
To make the brownies, you’ll also need some basic kitchen equipment such as these:
- 8-inch square baking pan;
- 2 Mixing bowls;
- Electric mixer;
Weed Brownies Recipe
- The first step towards making the best weed brownies is preheating your oven to 350°F (180°C), and greasing your pan.
- Sift the dry ingredients, add them to one bowl, and mix well.
- In another bowel, blend the cannabis oil and sugar with an electric mixer. Next, add the eggs and vanilla, and beat the ingredients to combine.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler and add them to the wet ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, and transfer the batter into the greased baking pan.
- Add your favorite toppings.
To make your own weed brownies you can follow the easy, step-by-step recipe below.
- Preheat the oven to 240°F.
- Grease the metal baking pan.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and set them aside.
- In a separate bowl, blend together the cannabis oil (or cannabutter) and sugar with an electric mixer to produce a creamy texture.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the creamed sugar and beat all the ingredients for about a minute.
- Melt the chocolate (if using) in the double boiler, and stream the chocolate mixture in the eggs once it cools a bit (if it’s too warm it’ll cook the eggs).
- Fold the cannabutter in the chocolate and mix everything together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and combine them until everything is well incorporated.
- Place a parchment paper on the baking pan if you haven’t greased it.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan and tap the pan to even out the batter.
- Add your desired toppings.
Baking and Serving Your Pot Brownies
- Bake your weed brownies for about 25-30 minutes and check whether the batter is baked through with a toothpick. As the consistency is fudgy, the toothpick probably won’t come out clean.
- After 20 minutes at room temperature in the pan, take the brownies out of the pan and cool them on a wire rack for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve your brownies with ice cream, a piece of fruit, additional chocolate, or nuts and seeds.
Final Thoughts on Making Cannabis Oil for Brownies
Brownies are one of the favorite desserts in the US, and especially weed brownies. To make your own from scratch, you need to infuse your cooking oil of choice with your favorite cannabis strain and decarb the weed for up to an hour at 235°F (120°C). After you’re done making your canna oil, all that’s left is to follow the simple brownie recipe we provided you and make the most delicious psychoactive treats. Enjoy!